Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Constitutional Law Nightmare...

I knew law school was going to be hard work from the moment I decided to become an attorney. I expected to put in roughly 65-72 hours per week doing law school related work. I just had Con Law today, and now my expectations have shot up to 72-80 hours per week because of one class. I looked at the reading assignments today and I couldn't believe what I saw. I thought maybe my calculations were off, so I ran some rough numbers. We have to read as much for Con Law as we have to for all our other courses COMBINED, INCLUDING a 4 hour property course. It's worth mentioning that Con Law is a 3 hour course.

I'm not saying that what we're going to learn in there doesn't need to be learned. What I'm saying is that if they're going to make us put in 18 hours of work per week into one class, it should be worth more than 3 damn credits. Furthermore, there's no reason why it shouldn't be split into two semesters like contracts or civil procedure. I don't know. Maybe the faculty thinks that law students need to learn how to function without sleep. That is effectively the burden they're putting on us here and I'm not a big fan of it.

Our largest single assignment is to read 124 pages in one weekend. This is not easy reading material. This is VERY dense material with very difficult philisophical questions to answer and the only way to understand the material is to consider the questions the book poses and try to answer them, even though most don't have a right answer per sé. It took me 3.5 hours just to get through 30 pages of reading. I personally don't think it's fair to put the students through this for 3 credits, but that's just my humble opinion.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The alleged 124 page assignment appears to be a typo, thank god.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've come to the conclusion that between the reading assignments and the socratic method, first year law school is a seemingly endless process of hazing.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's basically lawyer boot-camp. Now drop and give me twenty!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home