Monday, June 19, 2006

Shameless Plug for an Anime Series...

I hadn't been much into anime lately. I was more a fan of some of the older school stuff, and still am to an extent. The only semi-new stuff I liked was Love Hina and the two Onegai series. However, I recently learned that a series was made based on my favorite anime and manga of all time, Ah My Goddess. Excited to see if it could live up to the quality of the OAV and the movie I bought the first two discs of the series.

First let me say that the original OAV and the movie are not the same as the manga. They have very little relationship to the manga. I found both to be rather well done and was very impressed with both. That being said, the series tries to follow the manga canon and does a pretty good job of it from what I've seen.

For those of you who aren't in the know, Ah My Goddess (Ah! Megamisama for you otaku), is a romantic comedy (more focus on the romance part) about a college student who is so unlucky that he gets a visit from Belldandy, a goddess from the goddess relief office to grant him one wish. Since he doesn't have a girlfriend, he wishes that Belldandy would stay with him forever. She grants the wish, and all sorts of interesting things happen thereafter. It originally started as a manga in 1988 and is still running to this day, 18 years later.

Now, as to why I like the series so much. One word: Belldandy. The writers did a great job of making her the embodiment of the "perfect woman". She represents a woman that doesn't exist on earth, but that every guy would kill for. She's sweet, gentle, kind, funny, innocent, drop dead gorgeous (for an anime character that is), and she always puts everybody else's needs before her own. Dare I say I've fallen in love with a woman that doesn't exist? The series is a lot of fun to watch, as one could imagine, especially when her sisters start showing up, then things become very interesting. If the rest of it is anything like the manga, it will also have some dramatic moments, some sad moments, and plenty of excitement.

In short, if you like romance or romantic comedies and you like anime, this is an absolute MUST SEE. If you just like anime, but don't care what it's about, you should see it anyway. If you've never seen anime before and you like RCs or romance, make this the first anime you see. You won't be disappointed. Do yourself a favor as well, watch it in the original Japanese with subtitles. I know some people hate reading subtitles, but I was not at all impressed with the American voice actors for the characters. Me and dubs do not mix well at all, except in Ranma and Tenchi Muyo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home