Monday, January 15, 2007

All Alone in the Dark...

Our power is out. I'm sitting here at the moment blogging in the deep, dank basement of my house on my laptop, which connected to a UPS that runs my Internet connection and now runs my laptop and a desk lamp, so I can finish my contracts reading for Wednesday. The UPS is currently connected to a portable generator outside that is making a lot of noise. the situation is strange, and I'm beginning to get cold (our heater uses electricity for blower and ignition). However, the contracts work is getting done.

The biggest disadvantage to all of this is the fact that the UPS does not have enough power to connect workstation upstairs, which has the printer attached to it, and I'm short a USB cable to boot. So I cannot print off my research for my appellate brief. This is a very bad thing, and I don't even want to guess how late I'll be up tomorrow printing off anywhere between 200-300 pages of documents after hours and hours of research, in addition to the hours and hours I put in on Wednesday and Thursday.

DTE says the electricity should be back by 11:30pm, but they're rarely correct about that. I'm probably going to have to sleep in my hunting gear tonight, as it provides ample warmth for even sub-zero temperatures. I'll also probably use my sleeping bag as a blanket. I can use my cell phone to wake me up in the morning, so that's not a problem.

On a side note, my grade in torts got bumped to an A-, which makes me very happy, but my grade in criminal law was a C+, which makes me very unhappy. I never thought I'd do so poorly on any test, but I have to consider it an outlier, given the great job I did on my other exams and on my research memo. I'll just have to accept it and try to do better I guess. I'm still waiting on my final grade for Civil Procedure, but I don't hold out much hope for that being bumped to an A-. Still, it ain't over till it's over.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's your appellate brief going? I heard your oral partner is getting afraid and is nervous about going against you.

7:42 PM  
Blogger VSAvatar said...

It's going well enough. I've got 20 pages done. There's no need for anyone to get nervous about the oral argument. It's accorded so little weight in the grading. Plus, I'm really not that spectactular when it comes to oratory. I mean I don't suck, but I'm not Johnny Cochran or Geoffrey Feiger either.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UPDATE! where are you? :)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home