Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Halfway there...

Well, I'm halfway through my law school prep course. It's run by a company called Law Preview and is rather well taught. There's a professor that teaches at Yale, another from Emory, another from USC, and others from well known universities. These are actual law professors teaching these classes, not graduate students, or former students of the program. We've been through torts, contracts, and property thus far.

You're there for 8 hours a day for a week, so it's mentally draining, then you go back to your hotel room and study for 3 hours for the next day of class, but it's worth it. What I'm learning here will be invaluable to me in law school. We study cases, doctrines, issues, and rationales for applying the law the way it is. They actually tell you in plain English what some of this stuff means.

The hardest class for me thus far was property today. Everyone in that class seemed to be struggling with it. The subject is extremely complex and very difficult to deal with, but we pulled through. Tomorrow I have civil procedure and constitutional law, then we get a take home mock exam to work on. Friday is criminal law and exam taking strategies, and Saturday is legal research and writing. They also give you tips on how to succeed in law school and will provide you with a calendar and schedule on day by day breakdowns of your first year of law school and how to allocate your time.

The conclusion I've reached thus far is that working during my 1L year is simply not going to happen. I'm probably going to have to quit once the semester gets into full swing. I'm looking at 12 hours of law school (4 hours class, 8 hours homework) per day if I want to finish in the top 10% of my class. I will not sacrifice future earning potential for present earning potential of a couple hundred bucks per week. True, I will be living entirely off debt, but I think in the long run it will pay off. The only thing that concerns me greatly is health insurance. it's going to cost me like $138 per month for medical and another $17 for dental. The coverage is very good coverage, but comes with a $1000 deductible. I could pay $28 more per month, but this stuff adds up quick. I'm sure I'll find some way to swing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home