Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm Back....

Well it was a short and fun summer, but I'm back in school now. Where to start... Well first, I am taking 14 credits this fall. My classes are corporations, criminal procedure, evidence, and secured transactions. I also tried out for and made the moot court team. I had to turn in my appellate brief last Monday, and spent about 20 hours over the weekend working on the damn thing. I'm glad it's done, but now I need to go do oral arguments at least 4 times in the hopes that I might make it to the playoffs at the end of the semester.

Some might ask why I didn't go for law review. There are two answers to this question. The first is that the tryouts for law review were right at the end of the winter semester and I was ultra-burned out by that time. I wanted a break for a month or so, and doing a long article for law review was just too damn long and difficult. The other reason, and probably the most important one was that I wasn't really interested in it that much. I knew I wouldn't have time for both Moot Court and Law Review, and I really wanted to do Moot Court. Now that I'm in Moot Court and have seen the time it takes to put these briefs together and prepare for arguments, I am more sure than ever that I made the right decision. Originally I had 16 credits, but I dropped professional responsibility when I realized I was putting too much stress and strain on myself and that it was going to affect my health.

This semester is a little different from first year. One, I'm seeing a lot of people that I didn't see during my first year. My classes have a mix of second and third year students. Another thing is that there's a metric ton more reading in my second year classes than there was in my first year classes. Corporations reading ranges anywhere from 60 to 80 pages twice a week. Evidence is another 30-40 usually, secured transactions is usually pretty short, but crim pro usually is around 25-30 pages plus questions to answer. The subject matter is also a bit more difficult than first year in some of the classes, especially in corporations where the statutes are complex and sometimes unreadable. That class will easily be my worst nightmare this semester.

In what little spare time I have I've been spending with my girlfriend and also leading a Karazhan raid in the game World of Warcraft. I do need to start finding some time to exercise though, as I've started to gain a bit of weight. I took up golf over the summer for awhile, but it isn't overly strenuous. I was playing hockey in the late spring and early summer, but find that as much as I love the sport, my body often doesn't want to cooperate with me. That's about all I have time for now, but I will post more in a week or two once I'm completely settled back in and things with Moot Court calm down. I'll also post about my summer internship at the Lapeer County Prosecutor's Office once I get some time to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home